So we planted Sunflowers... Twice... But then...
Well folks, you can’t say we haven’t tried! Our sunflowers were amazing last year and easy to grow. This year… well… it’s been a different story. While we think they will still be beautiful to look at, we won't be able to have people cutting sunflowers and we don't think most of them will be above your knee. We invite you to visit the Fall Festival, Corn Maze, Pumpkin Patch, and enjoy all of the Fall offerings knowing that the sunflowers won't be as amazing as they were last year. If you were visiting only for Sunflowers, we encourage you to visit and enjoy all of the Fall Festival.
Last year's sunflowers:
More info from our blog below:
You can pick from the following reasons of why this year’s crop has been hard: way too hot in June, different field-different dirt, lack of the right watering, bugs, puncture vine weed, new planter…I may have missed one or two other possibilities! Needless to say, we are baffled by our lack of success this year in the sunflower world. So, we cry a little over the lost investment, we get a little mad over the lost effort, then we wipe our tears, stand up, dust our pants off and get back to work.
However…that seems to be pretty typical for farmers! (and for a lot of hard-working people too)
So, as we share our farm with you, we invite you to share in our successes and our disappointments. Our dad had a great saying on his wall, “The healthiest way to gamble is with a garden spade and package of seeds.” We think that’s pretty funny but very true!
We hope as you roam around our farm and enjoy the fun of the “harvest,” you can think of some of the work that went into it and know some of the good and the bad.
Here are a few of the great things this year:
- We grew our best pumpkins yet! We learned even more and hope to have awesome pumpkins every year.
- Our corn also grew the best ever. It’s tall and grew evenly and the maze is super fun!
- We have been able to add a few new games and we even get to have covered corn pits this year.
- Our cows, goats, and horses are healthy and make us happy!
- We have a great time creating our festivals!
Here are a few things that went wrong:
- It’s been too hot and dry…no shocking news there!
- Our fancy new irrigation didn’t work for sunflowers…shed a tear.
- The planter for the new field of sunflowers didn’t work as hoped for…shed another tear.
- Timing was off—pretty critical for farming. (mostly because of water and re-planting)
- We had some pest problems in our corn…from mites to raccoons…not too much damage.
All said and done it’s not been too bad of a year. We believe this year’s harvest deserves a big celebration and the Fall Festival will be better than ever. The sunflowers are the only major fail but, we will still have some beautiful flowers (about 4 acres.) It won’t be like last year but, will still be nice.
We feel pretty darn grateful for the place we live and the peace we enjoy. We hope to celebrate that with you this fall.